Wednesday 18 May 2016

Imbroglio



Imbroglio on iOS appstore

Yet another roguelike. It shares some recognisable elements with Zaga-33 and 868-HACK but I don't think it's very useful to think of it as a sequel, it has a pretty different philosophy.

It's on a 4x4 grid, as I continue to get steadily smaller (from Zaga's 9x9 and 868's 6x6). I first prototyped it at 5x5 but that was way too big. (See also Diego Cathilifaud's Amber Halls for 5x5, and I see now he's gone as low as 3x3 but I haven't checked that out yet.)

Compared to 868-HACK, individual plays are longer; it amused me to fit an epic-scale RPG leveling system into a tiny grid. But each play is self-contained, there's nothing like the streak scoring system tying multiple plays together. And there's less randomness in each game because you construct your build at the start of a game rather than assembling it from random pickups along the way. I've described this as "deck-building"; that might be slightly misleading but I think it's a useful analogy; the wall generation provides the "shuffle".

You can see I've used a different graphical style to some of my other games. Don't worry I haven't abandoned rainbow glitch pixel chaos for good, just the amount of stuff that needed to be communicated in terms of the card effects called for a higher resolution display. I'd been thinking for a while about using this kind of hand-sketched style for something and it fit here. Had fun drawing a bunch of wibbely monsters and stabby swords.

As usual, chances are a bunch of new bugs will show up now that it's released. Let me know and I'll get to work fixing them.

I hope you like it! It is always a bit anxious to release something new especially when it is hard to explain. I know for some people it will be too different and for some it will be not different enough, but it is its own thing and there you go.

13 comments:

  1. Can't wait to check this out as soon as I can get my hands on somebody's iOS device. Congrats on another release Micheal, good luck with launch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance of this game getting ported to Android? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, any chance on an Android port?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. maybe but I'm still busy dealing with bugs on ios so not yet!

      Delete
  5. I'll put another hopeful request for an Android port one day . Cheers and keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome game. Many thanks Michael. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying the game a lot but all of a sudden whetstone only levels up the square directly next to it, not the whole row as it used to. What gives!!?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In line with nozilla's comment, also wondering about whetstone mechanics, they're somewhat ambiguous and inconsistent. I've witnessed an entire row upgraded by a whetstone in my own play, and then it not working in another game. Also, wondered if there could be a fix for being in a corner with a ranged weapon and not being able to move. This makes for a frustration to ranged strategy. Would love to hear back, thanks for the great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nozilla was just referring to the recent nerf, read the patch notes.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete